Ticketing Information and Policies
Tickets may be purchased online until midnight the night before your visit. You will be asked to select an arrival time.
When you arrive, please have your ticket readily available. Follow the link in your confirmation email to print the barcode at home or to show it on your mobile device. Visitors who have purchased senior or student tickets may be asked to show identification to be admitted at the discounted price.
Same-day tickets may be purchased at the admissions desk during gallery hours up to thirty minutes before the Museum closes.
Doors open thirty minutes before the program begins. Ticket holders are guaranteed admission until the start of the program, at which time any unclaimed seats will be released.
Pay-What-You-Wish: Fridays, 7–10 pm
Pay-what-you-wish tickets are available at the admissions desk on Fridays, 7–9:30 pm. They may not be purchased in advance.
- Please do not consume food or drink in the galleries.
- Please do not touch the works of art on display. Even clean hands can damage surfaces.
- Unless otherwise noted, photography in the galleries is allowed for personal, non-commercial purposes only. The use of flash, tripods and selfie sticks is prohibited.
- The use of charcoal, pastels, permanent markers and watercolor or oil paint is not allowed in the galleries
- Service animals are welcome. Pets are not permitted in the Museum or restaurant.
- Please deposit any items larger than 11 x 15 x 5 in. (28 x 38 x 13 cm) in the coat check during your visit. Large luggage may not be accepted.
- The Whitney offers a Family Room as a dedicated space for nursing mothers and families. Located behind the coat check the room offers a diaper changing table, sink and chair for families to use to care for children.
- Backpacks must be checked or removed and carried while in the galleries.
- Umbrellas must be checked or placed in a protective bag supplied by the Museum.
- Items that may not be accepted in the coat check include: food and drink, bicycles, folding bicycles, sporting equipment, strollers, and other articles larger than 14 x 22 x 9 in. (36 x 56 x 23 cm).
- Smoking and e-cigarettes are not permitted anywhere within the building.
- Tickets cannot be refunded or exchanged.
- Whitney staff and visitors have the right to an environment free from abuse, threatening, or inappropriate behavior. The Museum reserves the right to remove any person acting in an unacceptable or inappropriate manner.
- Please note that visitors to the Museum may be photographed, videotaped, or otherwise recorded. By attending, you grant the Museum permission to use photographs and/or audiovisual recordings in which you appear for archival, documentary, publicity, advertising, or other purposes.
The Whitney offers complimentary admission to members, visitors 18 and under, and the following groups:
The Whitney offers complimentary admission to employees of the Museum's corporate partners through the general admission line, with valid staff identification.
Active Military and Veterans
The Museum offers complimentary admission to active members and veterans of the United States military with valid identification, and to military families with dependent cards. Tickets are available at the general admission desk.
Staff from Other Museums
Staff, volunteers, and interns from other museums may receive free admission for two through the general admission line, with valid staff identification. Staff from sites and monuments are not eligible.
American Association of Museums (AAM)
International Council of Museums (ICOM)
AAM and ICOM members receive free admission for one through the general admission line. A valid membership card and matching photo identification are required. ICOMOS members are not eligible.
Museum Council of New York City
Members with valid museum staff identification receive free admission for two through the general admission line.
Reciprocal Museum Members
The Whitney’s Reciprocal Museum Members receive free admission for two at the Member Services Desk. Valid membership cards at the appropriate level are required. Please contact your institution’s Membership Department for details.
Members of the press with valid press cards may receive free admission for one through the general admission line. Press with a valid Whitney press pass may enter the Museum directly with a guest. If you do not have your card, please use the member line to pick up your admission tickets. For press-related questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about admissions, please contact email@example.com.