The Artists Council is a patron group comprised of young collectors who share a passion for supporting the Whitney and its commitment to working with living artists. Throughout the year, Artists Council members have the unique opportunity to engage with Whitney artists, often before their work is known to the broader contemporary art world. With the guidance of associate curator, Jane Panetta, the group gains access to cutting-edge artists’ studios, private collections, and much more. Jane possesses a vast knowledge of contemporary art history and offers a rich understanding of the art of our time. A member of the Whitney curatorial staff since 2010, her recent exhibitions include Signs and Symbols (co-organized with Donna De Salvo,) Mirror Cells (co-organized with Christopher Y. Lew,) and Fast Forward: Painting from the 1980s. Jane was also part of the curatorial team for the Whitney’s inaugural exhibition, America is Hard to See.
Participation begins with an annual gift of $5,000.
For further information please email email@example.com or call (212) 671-5402.
recent events include:
- Exclusive exhibition talks and tours with Whitney artists such as Carol Bove, William Cordova, Wyatt Kahn, Nate Lowman, Keith Mayerson, Rachel Rose, Taryn Simon, Dana Schutz, Fred Wilson, and many more
- Private artist studio visits with Anne Collier, Beth Campbell, Matthew Day Jackson, Vik Muniz, and Gedi Sibony, among others
- An annual summer art weekend in the Hamptons that has included studio visits and talks with Whitney artists such as Bryan Hunt, Diana Al-Hadid, and Elizabeth Jaeger. The group has visited multiple private collections in East Hampton and Wainscott, and they have been hosted for dinners at Surf Lodge and Refinery29 Beach House
- Day trips to art destinations in the tri-state area. Recent trips include The Brant Foundation Art Study Center in Greenwich, CT and Dia: Beacon in Beacon, NY
- Private collection visits in NYC and beyond
- Gallery walks led by Jane Panetta that are designed to highlight the influential artists and galleries of the moment
Artists Council members enjoy a conversation with artist Wyatt Kahn about the exhibition Carmen Herrera: Lines of Sight. Photograph by Michele Snyder